It isn’t a surprise that with infertility comes bitterness. It’s ugly, it’s dark, but it’s totally normal. It’s also super damaging.
It’s so damn hard not to be bitter, and I think that it’s okay to allow yourself to feel those feeling every once in a while. But I will scream this from the rooftops:
DON’T LET THE BITTERNESS OVERSHADOW THE JOY THAT IS LIFE!!!!
It’s so easy to focus on what’s going wrong in your life and completely miss everything that’s going right. If you follow me on instagram, you know that I am calling my break from fertility treatments “project self care.” During this time, I have been trying to practice gratitude. Whenever I feel myself getting angry or bitter, I stop and think of 3 positive things that are happening in my life.
It’s normal to feel upset when someone tells you they’re pregnant, it’s normal to feel angry when you see a pregnant teenager in Target, but letting the darkness take over your life is only hurting you.
I’m going to repeat that. IT’S ONLY HURTING YOU.
When you let bitterness consume you, you isolate yourself and you attract negativity. I put together a quick list of things to do when you start to feel bitter or angry:
- Let it out. Feel the emotions, and then move on.
- Take a shower or a hot bath
- Go on a walk
- Drink some wine – a glass, not the bottle ladies
- Watch a funny movie
- Write Write Write! This blog has been the best therapy. **ps…thank you to anyone that still reads and enjoys this. You the real MVP.**
- Make a list of all the things that you enjoy because you don’t have kids. For example, my Friday naps are a must!
Remember, you only have one life to live. Don’t let it pass you by.